Friday, November 1, 2013

Weather time!!

Living in New England is always, at the very least, interesting.  I am guessing that there are very few places that have such pronounced season and rapid weather changes.  I have not done much traveling in my life so I do not know if that is a factual statement, but I rarely hear about the foliage in Montana.  Ok, Montana was a bit of a random reference but I think you get the idea.  Just having the World Series played in Boston (congrats to the Red Sox by the way) you hear national media refer to fall in New England quite often to start a broadcast, but rarely did you hear mention about the foliage in Detroit or St. Louis.  With the foliage and the sleeping of trees and other parts of nature, comes the beginning of the cold and dark mornings, which makes my training slightly harder, but it at least gives me something to blog about.

In recent weeks, since the running the half marathon, the weather has certainly changed in the area.  The temps in the morning have gone as low as 20 degrees.  I think people would notice that the human body reacts differently in colder temperatures than warmer.  It takes a little longer for the muscles to get lose, but obviously it helps in preventing over heating.  One of the things that I struggle with is the correct attire.  My real issue with it is I tend to have cold extremities while I sweat quite easily.  Knowing how your body reacts to temperature differences is certainly beneficial when you are looking to purchase all your articles of clothing.

Myself, I was lucky to receive a gift card (thanks to my in-laws) and was able to purchase a fantastic Asics wind breaker.  It is actually very warm and breaths pretty well.  I have found for me, multiple thin layers is the best way to go about running in sub freezing weather.  I have a compression shirt, long sleeve running shirt, and the jacket.  I also have two pairs of sock, gloves and shorts.  I don't like really running in long pants for some reason, they don't feel overly comfortable so I will go in shorts as long as I can.  I would like to at some point try out long tights for running, but as of right now I am not willing to invest the money into them.  Perhaps when the temps are sub zero I will consider it more.

So, I have actually come up with some structure here in this blog and I have started a list of things I would like to discuss.  So hopefully I can come up with more information and things to talk about like today.  I hoping I can mix in some of my other thoughts about running and such things with how my training is going and how my body is reacting to the idea of running a marathon in about 11 months.  Hopefully I can articulate the things I would like to say well and be informative to people.  So, until next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment