Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Back in the Saddle

Well, now that the vacation is over I am back into my regularly scheduled programs......Sort of.

Vacation at the Walt Disney World Resorts in Orlando Florida was fantastic.  We had a great time and can't wait to go back when our three year old is a little older (and hopefully tall enough to ride all the rides!).  I went down with the intention of getting in a couple of short runs to keep the muscles working correctly.  That all went to heck once we started staying at the parks late to watch fireworks as well as staying up late while the kids played.  I don't tend to function well waking up early when I go to bed late.  Most experienced runners will tell you that running on less than 6 hours of sleep really affects your body.  The good thing was after basically taking a week off, my body and especially my legs feel fantastic.  I have been able to really push some good runs in and get myself back to where I was right before I left.

So now I am under 2 weeks until my first running of a half marathon.  I am getting excited about it, but with the nicer weather and other things going on, I will have less time to write about how things are going.  So I am changing this blog slightly.  I am not going to go in depth about what I ate and those kind of things.  I will be doing more of a weekly summary of how things are going and where I am in my "training".  At this point I think that is going to be a good way to go about it.

I did mention before vacation that I would like to run the Maine Marathon this year, and although I would like to do it and have until July to really decide, I am starting to lean away from it.  I am looking at all the things I would like to do with my kids this summer and the amount of time that I would have to dedicate to running and they don't match up.  I am instead rethinking about running a second half marathon in Swanzey NH this fall.  Right now that just feels a little more like the right thing to do instead of trying to push 4 hours out of a weekend day just to run.

To summarize my week, we got back from Orlando on Friday later in the afternoon.  I ran about 7.25 on Saturday, a little over 10.5 on Sunday, 8 on Tuesday and 8.5 on Wednesday.  I am going to be taking tomorrow off, then probably look to run 8 on Friday, something under 6 on Saturday, then 12 on Sunday.  Next week will then be a light week of jogging to make sure I am fresh for Sunday!!

No comments:

Post a Comment